January 5, 2019

First it was losing the car keys…. Then it was forgetting the grandkids’ names.

First it was losing the car keys…. Then it was forgetting the grandkids’ names.

When to step in to protect your parents or other loved ones.

There must be millions of missing car keys across America. Who hasn’t had a parent, aunt, neighbor, cousin, or spouse that just can’t ever find their keys? Maybe they’re in the purse… or on the counter… or under the pile of mail…. or still out in the car. We laugh, we tease, we play it off. But for many of our loved ones, that’s not where the confusion ends. Maybe next time, Dad forgets that you already talked about hiring someone to mow the lawn for him. Or Grandma can’t find her wallet or her checkbook – or the multiple past due tax bills from the county. When your wife of fifty years doesn’t remember her beloved grandkids’ names, then what?

Clients often come to us seeking advice for what to do – and when to do it – when their aging relatives start forgetting more than just where they put their keys. Experienced Elder Law attorneys have familiarity with various aging-related disabilities and can put your family’s needs into perspective. Sometimes we simply recommend contacting a doctor and coordinating a more stable routine at home. But other times, we know that the law’s ability to step in and protect your relatives is needed.

Maybe Alzheimer’s is just starting to set in – and on a good day, your loved one can still remember everything clearly. If we access she has sufficient capacity on such a day, we can help her execute a Power of Attorney or Advance Medical Directive giving her spouse, child, or neighbor clear instructions on how to handle her affairs and what she wants done with the bank accounts and bills.

Or maybe, things have just gotten worse over time. Last Christmas, Grandma forgot the ham in the oven. But this Christmas, you come home to find her house in turmoil, half-used medications on the counters, soiled laundry in piles on the floor, and a cough that she just can’t kick. Yes, that happens to many of our clients. Yes, we can help with compassion, providing dignity wherever possible and legal protections when necessary. Petitioning the Court for Guardianship or Conservatorship of a loved one who has lost the ability to provide safely for themselves or their affairs is a common legal step that your experienced Elder Law attorney can navigate.

Let us provide you advice, both legal and practical, to help you protect your loved one as much as possible under difficult circumstances such as these. Contact the Elder Law attorneys at The Irving Law Firm today to help coordinate services for your family.


Comments are closed.